History of the bunker Beatenbucht
The Fischbalmen barrier in the Beatenbucht was the seventh anti tank barrier of a deeply staggered defence system along the right side of Lake Thun. It was planned by the Mountain Infantry Regiment 15. The first manning exercise of the newly constructed bunkers and barricades took place on 2 and 3 December 1942.
During the Cold War - and until the end of 1994 - the Beatenbucht barrier was occupied by Werkkompanie 9. This belonged to Reduit Brigade 21, which covered a large part of the Bernese Oberland.
During the war mobilisation exercises, the troops entered the installations directly. In addition to the rock works for anti-tank defence, the barricade included a roadblock with 47 steel girders and the associated depot (cavern).
A1882 - Military number of the depot for the barrier elements
A1883 - military number of the infantry bunker Fischbalmen
T1140 - military number of the road barricade
The construction of the cavern was not easy, as the road and the former Lake Thun railway ran below the construction site. The disposal of the blasted material in the lake also had to be agreed with the shipping company.
Armed with 21 men, the facility was first armed with a 4.7 cm infantry cannon on pivot mount, later followed by a 4.7 cm anti-tank cannon 41 and in 1962 a 9 cm anti-tank cannon 50.